Sunday, October 19, 2008

Back on the road


After one week on the road through San Diego's economic slowdown, I feel as if I've only scratched at the surface.


I've learned these things about the slow-down in San Diego County:

  • Small businesses are doing OK, but not great. The real impact of the slow down hasn't hit yet.
  • Local banks and credit unions are still funding some businesses. I'm not sure which banks are giving certain companies capital.
  • Several organizations are trying to "help" small business owners. I'm still not sure which are actually looking to help and which ones are looking for a profit.
  • Many stay-at-home-moms are turning to home-based companies to bring in extra cash.
  • Some people are looking for opportunity.
  • Online consulting businesses and technology companies are growing.

I've decided to continue the road trip into next week. Check back for updates.

No comments: